Takten Puntsok Ling was established by the Jonang master Tāranātha with support from kings of Tsang in 1619. It was the center of Jonang activity in Tibet until Tāranātha's death. It was converted to Geluk by order of the Tibetan government in 1650 and renamed Ganden Puntsok Ling. Within several years Jonang teachings were officially banned. As a Geluk institution it was affiliated with Tashilhunpo during the time of Seventh Dalai Lama.