Until 1950, the Shol Lekung was an administrative office located directly beneath the Potala's Red Palace. This three-story building is notable for its fine architectural detail in the traditional Tibetan style. It was built in the eighteenth century and restored in the twentieth century. The first floor contains a large monastic assembly halI. In recent times it has housed the Potala branch of the TAR Cultural Relics Administration.