Punakha Dzong is located at the confluence of the Po Chu and Mo Chu, and is the winter residence of the Je Khenpo and the Central Monastic Body, who move there from Thimphu on the first day of the tenth lunar month. Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyel laid the foundation stone in 1637. The dzong was intended to look similar to Ralung Monastery in Tibet, where Zhabdrung had previously resided. Gyelse Tendzin Rabgye expanded Punakha Dzong in 1680 when he extended the dukhang to accommodate growing numbers of monks. The complex contains seventeen shrines and temples, and houses the Ranjung Kharsapani, a vertebrae of Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje, as well as the Machen of Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyel.