Lingstang Labrang, built around 1943, is located near the Jokhang in the southern Barkhor square area. It was designed to serve as the residence of its incarnate Lama. Lingstang Labrang was the home of the Sixth Ling Rinpoche, who served as a tutor to the Fourteenth Dalai Lama. During winter Ling Rinpoche would reside here while in summer he would stay at Norbulingka. It is a three story stone and mudbrick building containing fine murals. It was turned into public housing and later a guest house.