Kyire School was founded in Lhasa in 1890 (/1902?). It is considered one of the oldest private schools in Lhasa. It later operated as a co-ed school. The school apparently got its name from the building, which initially housed the Darpo Ling Protector’s Chapel (dar po gling srung ma khang). It was renovated to provide office space and staff quarters. In 1996, the old building was transformed into a four-storied building.