Kyichu Lhakhang is in Paro, western Bhutan. Kyichu Lhakhang is considered one of the oldest temples in the Buddhist Himalayas. According to tradition, the first temple at Kyichu Lhakhang was built by the Tibetan Buddhist King Songtsen Gampo in the seventh century. A giant demonness lay across the whole of Tibet and the Himalayas. To subdue her, Songtsen Gampo built 108 temples among which was Kyichu Lhakhang, built on the demoness' left foot. In 1839, the temple was restored on the orders of the Twenty Fifth Je Khenpo, Sherab Gyeltsen. In 1968, H.M. Ashi Kesang arranged for a second temple to be built alongside the first.