The original foundation for what became Jonang Monastery, in the Tsang region of western Tibet, was laid by Kunpang Tukje Tsondru, the first master of what came to be known as the Jonang tradition. The founding date is traditionally given as 1294. Dolpopa Sherab Gyeltsen, one of the most important Buddhist masters in Tibetan history and the most important figures connected with the Jonang, expanded the monastery. He also built a Kumbum-style stupa called Tongdrol Chenmo near the monastery. Tāranātha held the abbot chair from 1588 until at least the 1620s when he built a new seat. Associated hermitages are Kyipuk Deden and Khacho Deden.