Gonlung Jampa Ling is an important Geluk monastery in Amdo that was founded in 1604 by Gelse Donyo Chokyi Gyatso. The site was visited by the Third Dalai Lama and Fourth Dalai Lama prior to its founding. Regarded as one of the four great monasteries of the north, it is the seat of the Changkya and Tukwan incarnations. The monastery now houses monks of Tu (Monguor), Tibetan and Mongolian origin. Though destroyed in 1724 during the reign of Lhazang Khan, it was rebuilt in 1732. It was partially destroyed during the Cultural Revolution. Reconstruction began in 1980. Today it is well-known for its new year's festival as well as masked dance ceremonies that are held throughout the year.