Gesar Lhakhang is a Chinese style temple that was built in 1792 by the Manchu ambans on behalf of the Qianlong Emperor. The temple was built on the summit of Barmari Hill, one of the three hills of Lhasa and sacred to the bodhisattva Manjughosa. It was intended to commemorate the Gurkha war victory. The temple was dedicated to the Chinese god of war and the justice Guan Di, who was identified with the legendary King Gesar of Ling for political reasons. The temple belongs to the nearby Kundeling complex.