The Makchikhang, or armory, is located within the Shol at the base of the Potala Palace. It was built in the seventeenth century during the time of the Fifth Dalai Lama. This large, five-story building was used as the army headquarters. It was badly damaged in 1959 and was renovated in the 1990s. No original details remain in the interior of the complex. In recent times it has been reportedly used as housing and a shopping center.