Semnyi Gon, a Geluk monastery in the Pari region of Amdo, may have been established as early as 1540. Other sources indicate that the Third Dalai Lama was responsible for its founding around 1584 when he visited the area. Yet another source cites Lhari Khenchen Tseten Dondrub as the founder, with construction beginning in 1623. Over time it was expanded and came to be the largest Geluk monastery to the north of Lake Kokonor and Tsongkha. Though it was partially destroyed in 1723, it was restored in 1725. The head of this monastery was known as Achung Rinpoche, who also maintained significant political power in the region. As of 2010, there were eighteen monks at Semnyi Gon.