In 1700, the three storey Lukhang temple was built on a small island in the lake behind the Potala Palace by the Regent Sanggye Gyatso and the Sixth Dalai Lama. The temple was built in the Zangdok Pelri style and dedicated to the naga spirits of the lake. The first floor of the chapel has a raised platform with images of Nagaraja, the King of the Nagas. The third floor of the chapel is decorated with outstanding murals depicting yogic instructions from Atiyoga and Anuyoga meditations. The Lukhang island had been used as a retreat by the Fifth Dalai Lama, and renovations of the Lukhang were undertaken by the Eighth Dalai Lama and the Thirteenth Dalai Lama.